GSU members, officers, staff, and guests gathered in Humboldt from March 22 to 24 for GSU’s biennial policy convention. Most notably, convention delegates:
- adopted the Joint Executive Council’s annual report and GSU’s audited 2017 financials statements, and authorized distribution of same to GSU members,
- authorized establishing a family crisis benefit for union members, and
- defeated a resolution that would see additional membership dues being paid into the GSU Defense Fund reduced from $10 to $5 per member per month effective July 1, 2018.
GSU’s general secretary, president, vice presidents, and Defense Fund board of directors are elected at GSU biennial policy conventions. Congratulations to the following newly-elected officers:
- Hugh Wagner will remain as GSU’s general secretary,
- GSU president Jim Brown, vice presidents Michelle Houlden and Brett North were re-elected, and
- Ron Gerlock, Wilfred Harris, Brian Lark, Dennis Piasta and Sharlene Tetrault were re-elected and will return as Defense Fund Directors for another two-year term.
“As expected, convention was productive, informative and entertaining,” said general secretary Hugh Wagner. “Our convention delegates spurred some great discussion, suggestions, and they have positioned us to move forward.”
If you have questions or would like more information about the convention, contact your GSU staff rep.