GSU’s executive committee met in Regina Sept. 18 as preparations begin for GSU’s fall season of annual Local and Sub-Local meetings. The meeting was attended by president Jim Brown, vice presidents Michelle Houlden and Brett North, and general secretary Hugh Wagner.
The business of the meeting included:
- an update on GSU finances,
- review of the draft autumn 2020 general secretary’s report,
- plans for the GSU’s Joint Executive Council (board of directors) meeting on Oct. 8,
- the annual resolution on whether to continue the additional dues being paid into the GSU defense fund,
- a resolution to amend the union constitution by re-assigning policy conventions to odd-numbered years beginning in March 2021, and
- plans for the union’s 2021 policy convention.
The president and two vice presidents are the three voting members of the executive committee. The committee meets as frequently as required to conduct the business of the union between meetings of the Joint Executive Council and policy conventions of union delegates.
Learn more about the Joint Executive Council here.
Executive committee, general secretary to meet Sept. 18
GSU’s executive committee will be meeting with general secretary Hugh Wagner in Regina next week. GSU’s president Jim Brown (Local 1 – Viterra) and two vice-presidents Michelle Houlden (Local 5 – Western Producer) and Brett North (Local 1 – Viterra) constitute the executive committee of the GSU.
One of the executive committee duties is to oversee the business of GSU and formulate policy between meetings of the Joint Executive Council. The executive committee is entitled to exercise the authority of the Joint Executive Council between meetings of the Council and such actions are carried out on an interim basis until they are confirmed at the Council’s next meeting.
Dates for the autumn meeting of the Joint Executive Council will be discussed on Sept. 18.