It takes a combination of hard work and educational funding for most students to achieve their goals.
GSU is pleased to offer $2,000 scholarships to five students who demonstrate an ability and a passion to inspire positive change in their community.
The scholarship competition is open to GSU members, their spouses, and dependent children who have not previously won.
Scholarship applicants must be enrolled in a diploma, degree, or certificate program at a community college, university, trade school, or technical institute as a full-time student in any country.
- There are five $2,000 scholarships available: three are dependant scholarships and two are GSU member scholarships.
- Dependant scholarships are available for dependant children of GSU members. Applicants for dependant scholarships must be age 25 or younger.
- GSU member scholarships are available for GSU members and spouses of members.
- GSU members must have a signed union card on file with the union to be eligible for GSU scholarships.
- If there are no member scholarship applications, all five scholarships will be available to be awarded to eligible dependant applicants.
- Students can apply every year.
- Students will be awarded a maximum of one scholarship per lifetime.
Deadline for receipt of GSU scholarship applications is June 1, 2016.
Our scholarship committee will meet in June to determine the successful scholarship recipients and all scholarship applicants are advised of the committee’s decision shortly after it has been made.
Applicants may complete either the dependant or the member application form and return it to Grain and General Services Union with the following items:
- A letter of recommendation from a non-family member describing how the applicant’s participation in school, extra-curricular, and/or community activities make them a strong candidate for a GSU scholarship.
- A copy of a document from your training institute which confirms your registration.
- A two-page essay on the chosen topic for the year.
Scholarship application forms are available below or mailed directly to members upon request. Availability of the forms will be announced is announced on the website, email, and GSU newsletter in March of every calendar year.