The survey found that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused widespread anxiety and concern for Canadians across the country. As they look ahead to the economic recovery, most are looking for a bold and ambitious recovery.
- Canadians, by a 2 to 1 margin, want governments to spend whatever is necessary rather than control the deficit.
- Canadians think the long-term, health system, and employment structure needs a lot of improvement.
- Canadians want an economic recovery that is fair, makes the country more self-sufficient, and invests in the public health care system.
- 3 in 4 Canadians support a wealth tax on Canada’s wealthiest people to help pay for the recovery.
- 77% Support governments providing financial assistance and debt relief to municipalities to help with budget shortfalls.
- 8 in 10 Canadians want government to ensure public funds to assist corporations are not used to enrich executives or existing shareholders.
The survey was conducted online with 2,280 Canadians aged 18 and over from May 1 to 6, 2020.
View the survey and complete results here: Abacus Data: What Kind of Recovery?